My in-laws had green tomatoes that fell off too early. So, I grabbed one to try it out. Fried green tomatoes are the most popular thing to make with green tomatoes, which I have never eaten. I wanted a healthier approach than frying, so I came up with my very own Baked Green Tomato 🙂
- 1 large green tomato, sliced up
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 big clove of garlic, finely chopped
- a pinch of dried basil (or freshly chiffonade basil if available), or try Italian herbs of your choice
- a dash of salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup of my home-made garlic marinara, the same as I had used for pizza sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C) while you prep your ingredients
2. Make the breading mix first by mixing bread crumbs, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper in a bowl (big enough to dip the tomato)
3. In another bowl (big enough to dip the tomato) pour the oil.
4. Dip a slice of tomato in oil on both sides, then dip it it the breading mix to coat evenly, and then lay it on a baking sheet. Repeat the coating process for all the tomato slices.
5. Bake for about 10 min or until the coating is golden brown
6. Pull it out, top each slice with the garlic marinara, and some mozzarella.
7. Let it bake again for 5-8 min or until the cheese is nice and bubbly!
We enjoyed Baked Green Tomatoes as a side with penne for dinner. It was like having a whole new substitute for Eggplant Parmesan … yum! The above is also my skeleton recipe for making Eggplant Parmesan (without frying!), which will have to be a post for another time 🙂