This is an easy way to make and eat your French Toast. You’ve seen my traditional French Toast, but try turning it into bites!
Content below was originally published at Naturopath.ca …
Here is an easy and sooo yummy, fruitful breakfast you’ll eat over and over. Most people think making French Toast is a lot of work, so this is my way to make “French” toast more practical. Cutting the bread into “bites” and dicing the fruits makes the meal visually appealing, too. Speaking of being practical, french toast is one of the best things you can do with bread that has gotten a bit stale.
Much has been written about the health benefits of eating fruits like blueberries, strawberries, and bananas, as used in this recipe. For just a few lesser known facts: strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C, good for 100 MG of vitamin C per cup. Blueberries can help prevent and treat bladder infections, and blueberries and strawberries both have anti-cancer properties. If you exercise in the morning, you’ll find bananas afterward are the perfect food solution to lactic acid cramps.
a couple slices of one or two day old, whole grain bread, cubed
a handful of freshly diced strawberries
a handful of freshly diced bananas
a handful of blueberries
some chopped pistachios and walnuts
some freshly grated nutmeg
a dash of cinnamon
a drop of pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of vegan Earth Balance spread to grease the pan — this tastes exactly like butter, but is much better for you
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
a splash of milk
a sprinkle of confectioner’s sugar, or drizzle maple syrup, to serve
1. Beat the egg and milk. Add brown sugar, vanilla, and spices, and mix.
2. Toss the cubed bread into the egg mixture and let it soak.
3. Meanwhile, heat the Earth Balance spread in a sauté pan, on medium heat.
4. Once the spread melts, swirl the pan around to distribute it. Add the bread and drain any excess egg batter — most of it should be soaked into the bread.
5. Add the nuts and toss the bread some more, to coat the bread evenly with nuts.
6. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the bread gets crisp and the batter is either fully soaked up or cooked away. The nuts really help get a nice crispy coating on these bites as they toast.
7. Serve the French Toast Bites n Berries in a bowl, adding the freshly chopped fruit, and topping.
It’s a wonderful way to eat your fruits, nuts, egg, and bread as you enjoy this most important meal of the day!