Who says only meat eaters have fun barbecuing?! These Tandoori Tofu Kebabs are so flavorful and easy to make that even tandoori meat lovers will happily eat them!
Tofu is something I cook in many, many, many ways. Tandoori Tofu Kebabs is one dish you’ll rarely find in an Indian restaurant, although when they taste this great, they should be insanely common! They are a healthy and delicious way to enjoy wonderful grilled Indian flavors, and any Indian food lover would love them.
You can eat Tandoori Tofu Kebabs freshly grilled and all by themselves — like my husband Brian ate half of the lot — or you can eat the tofu in wraps, or with curries and rice, or you name it!
1 block extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon chana flour
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon freshly grated garlic
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon dhana-jeeru powder (a blend of ground cumin and coriander seeds)
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
salt to taste
rock salt and lemon to garnish
1. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a big bowl or a Ziploc® bag, then toss the cubed tofu in it. Taste the marinade and adjust it to your liking before you toss in the tofu!
2. Let the tofu marinate for up to one hour, or two if you like bolder flavors.
3. Soak your skewers in water, and preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C).
4. Thread the tofu on skewers, and let the skewers hang by the edges of a deep, lined baking pan to catch the drips. Yes, it will be a bit messy!
5. Let them bake for about 7-10 minutes, just as long as it takes for the tofu to crisp up nicely on the outside. Check to see if you need to rotate skewers, making sure the tofu is cooking evenly on all sides.
6. Sprinkle with rock salt and lemon juice, then serve hot, or incorporate the tofu in the dish of your choice.
Tip: Use the rest of your marinade to make tandoori vegetables or anything else you please!