Oh, I eat a lot of oats! because they are so good for you, but also because they smell and taste delicious when baked into a fruit crisp. I really enjoy making different crisps every so often with fresh, seasonal fruit. They are light and easy to make, and they also keep in your fridge for some time — if you can stop from eating them!
Content below was originally published at Naturopath.ca …
Any fruit crisp is a wonderfully wholesome way to enjoy fresh summer fruits — like berries! This recipe is both nutritious and simple, so it can be adapted to any seasonal fruit you like. This berry crisp is also a lot better for you than a typical cobbler, which usually contains more butter, sugar, and flour.
Wholesome Berry Crisp gets its crispiness from oats and nuts. Oats give you lots of soluble fiber, lots of vitamins, and the power to fight Bad Cholesterol. Its sweetness comes from the berries. If your berries are really sweet, use less sugar, or try combining the berries with other fruits you love and that bake well, such as peaches, plums, and nectarines.
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 cup blueberries
2 tablespoons unrefined sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla powder or extract
1 cup rolled organic oats
1/4 cup unrefined sugar
2 tablespoons of oat flour (use whole wheat flour if you can’t find oat flour)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped nuts of your choice
1 tablespoon of cubed cold butter or vegan substitute if you prefer
1. Preheat the oven to 175 C (350F).
2. Toss the berries in 2 tablespoons of sugar and vanilla, and let them sit.
3. In a big bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
4. Lay the berries in a thick glass baking dish, and pour the dry crisp ingredients over the top.
5. Scatter the cubed butter across the top of the dry ingredients.
6. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the crisp has an almost bar-like firmness. The bottom should be slightly soft, but not watery. Other signs that your crisp is finished: when the sides of the baking dish are covered in a syrupy fruit mixture, and as usual, when it really smells ready, it will smell wonderful.
7. Serve alone or topped with vanilla ice cream.