I tried to create a dessert for those who hate dessert. I used local apples, raw milk cheese, honey, and pastry sheets, then spiced it up! It has a savory edge to it and the real star ingredient is the Chinese 5 spice powder. It created a magic combination!
1 thinly sliced Fuji apple (with the peel please, it’s good for you!)
1 thawed Aussie Bakery puff pastry sheet
1 teaspoon local wildflower honey
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon ginger powder
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of Chinese 5 spice
a pinch of salt
zest of half a lime
some crumbles of raw milk Formaggio Salato from Samish Bay
1. Prebake the shell in mini tart pans at 350 F (175 C) until slightly browned.
2. Meanwhile, toss the apples in all of the ingredients above, and keep tossing every few minutes to make sure the juices incorporate all the flavors. Reserve the juices released from the fruit to serve over the finished tart.
3. Pile or arrange the apples and cheese as you please in the tart shell.
4. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the edges get browned and the apples are bit cooked.
5. Praise your local producers and enjoy :)